The Dam at La Source is in fact an “Erosion Control device” rather than just a standard farm dam. Unfortunately it has also had a history of faults requiring repair. The Natural pond project aims to improve the dam in two basic ways;
- Improve its integrity through appropriate re-vegetation and other measures
- Create a natural habitat to support wildlife
To archive this the dam will undergo these major changes;
- Enlargement and landscaping (also providing mud-brick source material)
- Development of a small island for protection of some species from foxes and other predators.
- Plantings for Wind protection from hot North Westerly winds
- Development of the controlled entry of water to the dam including silt trap and barrier island.
- Planting in pastures above dam to slow water and trap silt
- Plantings to increase shading
- Provision of a stable (non-eroding) access for large animals to drink at the dam
- Possible addition of appropriate species
In addition provision will be made to access dam water for low scale irrigation in such a way as to minimise impact on the ponds inhabitants.